May 7, 2010

Waffle Waffle Bo Baffle!


Hey everyone! Hope all is well. I have finally come back from the "land of the dead" and feel much better since I delivered my baby 8 weeks ago! So I figure it is time to post. Today is a simple post about a product I have come to LOVE and a few tips, ideas and recipes that lightly revolve around it. If you are in the market for a new waffle iron, check out the Cuisinart Classic Waffle Iron. It is seriously the best little waffle iron and let me tell you why. It is small and easy to store. Makes the perfect size waffle. Is non-stick and affordable, only $29.99! It heats up SUPER fast, cools down super fast and cooks a waffle in like 30-45 seconds NO JOKE and has a varied setting control for lightly cooked or darker waffles. Just an awesome product.

So, what do I use mine for? A LOT of things. I find it very versatile. First, I love making whole grain waffles with it for breakfast. They are great fresh or store them in the freezer and pop a few in the toaster later! Here is my recipe, it is simple and healthy!

* 2 cups wheat flour
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
* 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 large eggs

Mix your dry ingredients, add milk, oil and eggs. You can add nuts, seeds, oats or bran to this recipe for super healthy and hearty waffles.

The next thing I love to do with my waffle iron as a breakfast tool is make french toast. It is super simple! Make your french toast coating. I like to use eggs, a little milk and cinnamon. Heat up your waffle iron, spray it or brush it with oil. I know it is non-stick but eggs can be sticky. Dip your bread in the coating and place on waffle iron, close and let cook! That is it! No flipping or anything. Cooks one up SO super fast and it actually makes it textured like a waffle so it is great for holding syrup or butter or whatever you like in the holes! YUM!

Okay, here is my FAVORITE thing to do with my Cuisinart Classic Waffle Iron. I love brownies and I LOVE the edges. SO if you are an edge lover too, you will love this. The following recipe makes TWO waffles with this iron. So double it for more or whatever.

* 1/4 cup butter
* 3 TB spoons cocoa powder
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/4 tsp salt teaspoon salt
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 cup WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
* 1 large egg

Melt butter and ad cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix well then ad flour and egg. Mix well again. BRUSH the iron with oil and cook on 3-3.5. Remove softly when done let cool. SO good. Dip in milk, eat plain or put ice cream on top. Very easy and very good! I assume most any good waffle iron will get good results for all of the above! Have fun! Cheers!

-Liz-

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Although I am not one to indulge, (HA HA YEAH RIGHT!) I will have to try brownie waffles for a family night dessert! ALSO, I have played around with my waffle maker as well and I put whole wheat banana bread batter in it and it makes delicious waffles. I guess I will have to post that recipe. I use less sugar and replace it with applesauce.
    -Val

    ReplyDelete