Jan 25, 2011

It's Snot Going To Keep Me Down!

-Refer to blog article How and Why to use a Neti Pot under Health articles-

No, a neti pot is not some strange illegal drug or ritual teapot...it is used to irrigate the nasal passages.  It sounds drastic but is quite fantastic!  Sounds sick but it does the trick!  Okay, enough of the corny rhymes...  But it really does work!  I have been using a neti pot for the past 5-6 years.  I originally started using it when I had a sinus infection and wanted to try and rid it without the use of antibiotics.  I had a full blown sinus infection and guess what, it worked.  I have used it 3 or 4 times since for the same reason with the same results.  I have also used it during times of heavy allergies or exposure to chemical pollutants like paint etc with great results.  Recently I came down with a very nasty flu.  Just as I started to feel better, I started to feel really cruddy again.  I developed a secondary infection in my sinuses.  It was a doozie too.  A NASTY one.  I did my neti pot 3 or 4 different times over a 5 or 6 day period with no results.  It got to the point where the infection was making me useless.  I was just about to throw in the towel and go see a doctor and beg for some antibiotics when my hubby who works in a pharamcy said, "I can't remember what it is...some lady comes in and she was telling me about something she put in her neti pot for her sinus infections because she gets them chronically and it helps her clear them right up!...Oh yeah, it was apple cider vinegar!"  ACV?  I can do that, I have a long standing relationship with ACV and I love the stuff.  But wait...pour vinegar in one nostril and through my BRAIN, okay my sinuses, and out the other nostril!!??  That sounds painful!  So I did some digging online to see if anyone else had done such a thing.  I found a lot of people who had!  I came across a recipe for 8 ounces of water, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of ACV.  I decided to give it a go.  After all...if you have ever had a sinus infection you will know...I figured it couldn't be worse than the aching molars, pounding sinus pressure, popping eyeballs and carnival ride-spinning head!  What would a little burning be to that!?  So, I gave it a go.  It wasn't bad at all, in fact I didn't feel much.  I will be honest, using a neti pot is SICK!  So sick that you would never admit to using it if say, you were running for Miss America or trying to win on Americas Next Top Model or competing on the Bachelor (not that I qualify in any of those areas)...you would get kicked out, let go, butt fired...whatever if anyone knew you did such a barbaric, disgusting thing.  But hey, it works so who gives a flying cruddy right?...  Right??  When you use a neti pot you look something like a mix of Disney's Quasimodo with Disney's Mrs. Potts shoved up your nose!  You breath through your mouth and sound surprisingly much like Darth Vadar while nasty boogers and snot flood out your nose into your sink or tub.  It is SICK!  But when you are done you feel like a million bucks and it is so good to flush that stuff out of your system.  Back to the story...after ONE flush with ACV I felt much better.  I did it daily for three days and it completely cleared my really, really bad sinus infection.  Remember I had been using my pot already but it wasn't cutting it and was ready for antibiotics.  So, file away one more bit of knowledge...ACV added to neti pot gets rid of sinus infection...check!  If you have issues with sinusitis and infections, I suggest you try this.  Pay no heed to all I have said about how you look, feel, sound and what you see while using your neti pot because the results are worth it!  ;)  Cheers!

-Liz-

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this advice I have been thinking of trying this. What about adding honey to the acv?

    ReplyDelete