Feb 21, 2011

Quinoa (Keen-wa)

Quinoa is a grain like seed grown in the high Andes mountains. It is low on the glycemic index and also considered a perfect protein.  It is 12-18 % protein which is twice than brown rice and also contains twice the fiber of brown rice.  It's also easier to cook (if you buy the pre-rinsed variety) and in my humble opinion, tastes much better.  If you are a diabetic, it is a much better choice than rice, as long as you keep the servings to an appropriate amount, being that it is still a carbohydrate.  I buy a nice big bag at Costco that lasts my family of four a few weeks.  I like to mix it with oatmeal for breakfast. I cook 4 cups of quinoa at the begining of the week and save it in the fridge.  For breakfast I mix it with some cooked oatmeal.   I also put it cold in to my salads.  I really like it with lemon juice, salt and butter, like a quinoa pilaf.  I have also heard that some people even use it for baking and breads.  Here's how I have found to best cook it.

1 cup of dry quinoa
2 cups of Pacific Free Range Chicken Broth (only kind I've found with out MSG)
1-2 cups water

I start out with the 2 cups of broth and bring it and the quinoa to a boil.  I let it boil for 10 minutes.  Usually after the 10 minutes I have to add more liquid to keep it from burning.  I would start with 1 cup and wait 5 minutes, then if it's dry after 5 minutes add another cup and let it cook 5 more minutes.   You want the quinoa to be dry after 20 minutes, like rice.  You do not want it to be wet and gooey.  After 20 minutes of  cooking, cover the pan, remove it from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes.  Then fluff and serve or save.   If you do not have or want to use chicken broth just use all water.  Eat it with any meal you would use rice or in place of potatoes.  It goes wonderfully with so many things.  I don't know if I will ever eat rice again!
-Val

2 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with MSG, it's a myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your wrong, unsubstantiated and ignorant comment.

    ReplyDelete