Apr 5, 2011

Sprouts: A how to guide to the easiest, sprouts in the world!

If you have ever tried a sprouting jar you know that sprouting beans, grains and seeds can be a stinky and time consuming affair.  They can mold and rot within hours and only a lucky few can get their sprouts to an edible fruition.
Why sprout at all? Some may be asking.  Sprouts are healthy little packets of vitamins and minerals.  They are tasty, healthy and can be made in to yummy things like Malt and Sprouted flours.  They make great additions to salads, breads or just for snacking.
You can sprout anything that is a whole seed, grain or legume. Even peanuts!
If you use a hemp sprouting bag it is as easy as washing your hands.
I bought a sproutman hemp bag from rosemountainherbs.com  Within 24 hours I had little sprouted lentils.  All I had to do was soak the lentils overnight in a bowl of water, then put them in the bag and dip it in fresh water every morning and night then hang up to drip, until my sprouts were the desired size.  Then I tried wheat.  I got lazy and didnt soak the wheat like the instructions said and it still worked!  I let the wheat sprout for 3 days and then put it on a cookie sheet and let it dry in the oven at 170 F for about 5-7 hours.  Then I put it in a metal colander and stirred it with my hands until the little sprouted stems all fell off.  I then ran it through my wheat grinder.  It had a wonderful malt taste.  I used it up very quickly adding it to smoothies 1/4 cup at a time.  It can also be used in place of flour for a nice loaf of sprouted wheat bread.  This adds vitamin C that the grain only develops when it has sprouted.  If you are going to use it to sprout for wheat bread, I would recommend getting 2 bags, as you will go through the small amount of flour it makes very fast, and it takes days to make more.  Try it, it is easy and a great way to add greens to your diet!
The Sprout House Hemp Sprouting Bag Kit for Sprouting Beans and Grains
Sproutman Hemp Sprout Bag
Hemp Sprout Bag - by Sproutman
-V


      

No comments:

Post a Comment