Jun 9, 2011

Mashed Cauliflower Delicious and not at all what you thought it would taste like.

Cauliflower is a great alternative to mashed potatoes because unlike potatoes it is low in simple starches and therefore low in carbohydrate.  Keeping carbohydrates low is important to easily maintaining a healthy weight or for those trying to loose weight.  I will elaborate in a later post.  The secret ingredient to my mashed cauliflower may sound naughty, but I assure you it is perfectly legal... it is potatoes... I know I basically said potatoes are bad, but I only use a negligible amount and it really makes the texture better.  Here's the recipe:

1. Large head of cauliflower.
2. 1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
3. salt and pepper to taste
4. 1/3 cup sour cream.  Use Daisy brand sour cream or a local organic brand they are the best.

Boil the Cauliflower in cut up pieces.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  Boil it for about 10-15 minutes or until the cauliflower is very fork tender.  Drain the cauliflower very well in a strainer or colander the put it in a food processor with the potato flakes and salt and cream.  Puree it very well while it's still steaming hot.  As it puree's the potatoes will absorb the excess water in the Cauliflower.  This should make about 3-4 servings depending on the size of your cauliflower.  I think its just as easy if not easier than making regular mashed potatoes.  Add chives, onion powder or any other flavor you love in your potatoes.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I always balk at mashed cauliflower, but this sounds half decent. I just might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I just tried them and they were great! In fact, they're better than mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds worth trying! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete